Please Help Save Wild Dolphin Swims in Hawaii
To ensure our continued ability to safely interact with dolphins and whales in the ocean
In September 2016 the Federal Government Agency, NOAA and it’s law enforcement branch, NMFS, proposed the complete ban on all swimming among the friendly pods of Spinner dolphins in the coastal waters of Hawaii.
I, and others, do not agree with this proposed regulation and will present a body of factual information that supports our contention that this activity, when conducted safely, poses no threat to the dolphin pods whose numbers are shown to be increasing.
Your comments will allow you to contribute to this process.
P L E A S E
WRITE OR CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS
TO EXTEND PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR 90 DAYS
SENATOR MAZIE HIRONO < www.hirono.senate.gov/contact>
SENATOR BEN SCHATZ <www.schatz.senate.gov/contact>
CONGRESSWOMAN TULSI GABBARD <www.gabbard.house.gov>
This important issue needs more time for public response as it affects local matters for generations to come. We are simply asking to extend the period of time for public commentary by 90 days so that more people may be informed of this and make comments for the public record.
More time is needed to prepare comments for NOAA because:
1. The DEIS is very detailed and long, so more time is needed to review and analyze.
2. NOAA seems to be changing the meaning of “harassment.” Swimming peacefully with the Dolphins is not harassment because there is no attempt to pursue, annoy, or torment the Dolphins, as required by the statute. Analyzing the attempt to change the definition and thereby change the law requires some study.
3. There are efforts going on in the community to develop alternatives that can produce agreement, rather then relying on law enforcement to do the job. The community-based process should be given more time.
4. Boat captains are gathering information from their logs that may help answer questions that are not answered in the NOAA DEIS. The captains should be given more time to prepare and submit their data.
5. Issues of conflicting interest have shown up, such as Dolphin Quest funding NOAA research. More time is needed to find out the truth about conflicting interests violating Federal rules.
6. There is a need for more information from islands other than the Island of Hawai’i. There are people trying to gather such information and they need more time.
The requests for extension of time should be sent directly to the Secretary of Commerse Penny Pritzger <TheSec@DOC.gov>
with copies to: Ann M. Garrett <Ann.Garrett@noaa.gov> & <email@example.com>
Or fill out the form at https://www.doc.gov/feedback
What we ask that you do between now and Nov. 25, 2016(TBA)
Submit to the NOAA website positive comments and support for a continued interaction without the newly proposed swim/ban regulations.
See some example comments that were submitted.
Any number of personal comments supporting NO NEW REGULATIONS can be sent to:
Look to this website for further developments and information as it is made available.
King’s Proclamation 2
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN AND SUPPORT FOR HEALTHY INTER-SPECIES COMMUNICATION
Check out savedolphinswims.org, for more…